After getting out of a Pilates reformer class last week, I had a sudden odd craving for grapefruit juice, so I went to Trader Joes on my way home and got some. Needless to say, I had a couple glasses and then didn’t know what to do with the rest of the carton. Flash forward to yesterday evening when a friend invited me over to have dinner, and I was thinking about what to bring…until I remembered that I had made “grapefruit” bars, a slightly sweeter version of lemon bars, a while back! I decided to give it another go to use more of the grapefruit juice, even though my KitchenAid did not make the trip to Chicago with me. I got a great arm workout and some delicious dessert out of it! Recipe below:
Grapefruit bars( ~3 -4 servings or 8 bars)
Total time: 75 minutes including baking time
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup grapefruit juice (can add more if you want sweeter bars)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup flour
powdered sugar for dusting
- Grease an 8X8 in baking pan and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- To make the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light. I used a wooden spoon but if you have an electric mixer, use it :). Then, combine the flour and salt separately and then add it into the butter mixture. Put the dough into the baking pan and flatten it out. Chill it for 15 minutes.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Take the pan out and let the crust cool down.
- To make the filling, whisk the eggs, sugar, grapefruit juice, lemon juice and flour together. Once the crust has cooled, pour the mixture over it.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the filling is set and doesn’t jiggle. Pull out the pan and let cool.
- Cut into bars, dust with powdered sugar, and enjoy!